Friday, September 23, 2011

Chapter 4
               
Freedom of speech is important, but should be limited. If you have something to say about the government or the president , that would be ok as long as you don’t say something like I’m going to kill the president or bomb the white house.  To harm someone is very wrong, just because you don’t like the color of their skin or the things that they say.  The freedom of the press is good to because without them no one would know what’s going on around our nation or the world.  I think freedom of speech goes too far sometimes.  It should not be protected for anything that relates to degrading a person, mean comments to people with disabilities, bullying children, threatening someone either in person or on the internet.  To me it is unnecessary to purposely hurt someone with words of violence,  trying to start a war by rioting.  It’s okay to take a stand for what you believe, just not with violent words or throwing rocks, bottles or burning flags.

There should be a separation of church and state. I don’t think they should teach religion in schools.  There are a lot of people that don’t go to church but do believe in god. School‘s are suppose to teach children math, social studies, reading, and writing. Religion should be taught in church.  If you taught religion in schools, would it be all of them or just one type? I don’t know what it would be. I do know that it would be confusing to a child if that child never went to church or the school was teaching them something different then what they know from church.

                Accused criminals should have some rights until they are convicted. After that happens all their rights should be taken away. I do agree with the search and seizer laws, and the Miranda rights. However, I think police officials sometimes go through the Miranda rights so fast that the person being arrested truly does not understand or forgets what their rights are. There have been people arrested and interrogated for hours because they have not thought about getting a lawyer because they are too nervous and can’t think. I believe the Miranda rights should be given to a suspect twice. First, while being arrested and second before interrogations, so that a person really understands what they have a right to. The length of time of an interrogation that law enforcement uses is wrong in my opinion, I know they try and wear that person down to confess, but they should not be able to pressure that person for 12 or more hours or play good cop, bad cop. If they have evidence that proves this person did this crime then the interrogation should not be that long. Just put them in jail; let them have an attorney and wait for trial. 

3 comments:

  1. I think you make good points. I agree with freedom of speech and that it should not be tolerated to put people down etc. That being said there are laws against bullying and harmful acts, technically it is against the law to say you will kill someone.

    I respect what you say about church and school yet I do not agree that this was the intent of the founders, thus In God we Trust on our money.

    As far as criminal rights, I respectfully disagree about people not knowing their rights. It is my opinion you can not live in this day and age and not know the Miranda rights. I do think though there should be tougher laws for interrogating minors without parental or attorney present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that religion should not be taught in schools, and that schools are strictly for the subject the express now. There are way too many religions that are in our country, there would not be enough time to teach this to the children in schools. I agree that it should be left to church to teach religion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some really good points about criminal rights. It really made me think of things in a different light.

    ReplyDelete