Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Chapter 8 blog


Blog Chapter 8
I was a member of the United Steelworkers of America for six years when I worked at Tennessee Valley Steel.  The issues that they have are the same as mine. The middle class working person, health care, wages, a good pension, keeping American jobs here. America is going down the tubes, and we stand here and watch. Feeling hopeless at times wondering what is going to happen to the middle class worker. Working at Tennessee valley steel, we had good wages, good health insurance, good working conditions and safety was the number one concern.  I haven’t seen those things since then, and don’t know if I ever will.


The UAW, United Auto Workers Union, the union of the big 3 automakers. I was born in Detroit, Michigan in 1955, and I have always heard from mom and dad and my uncles that if you worked at one of the big 3 automakers, that the union will take care of you.  My Family are big union supporters.  The union supports the working middle class families. Better wages and health care, among other issues.

Depending on what interest group it is, in my opinion some could have more power in the political system. Freedom of speech is very important to us all. But, no one should be able to own a politician to get what they want. That is rich people being greedy. That’s just my opinion.  


4 comments:

  1. Good views on the union. You're right the working situation is getting scary in America...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your views and opinions esp. about the unions. I also am concerned about the econonmy and middle class workers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You brought to light some very good points. Unions are good as a whole for the people, but I believe that they are not what they once were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unions are important and the security and peace of mind that they offer brings great relief to those struggling in this economy.

    ReplyDelete